Round 4 Opponents: Salford Red Devils
Ground: AJ Bell Stadium
Coach: Ian Watson
Home colours: Red jersey with two white stripes on the left, red shorts
Alternative colours: Black jersey with white and red diagonal sash, black shorts
Redvee Season Preview: https://www.redvee.net/season-preview-salford-red-devils/
(Paul Whiteside, who was our Salford fan in focus, has written his own preview to the game which can be found here – obviously after you’ve read this) https://paulwhitesiderugbyleague.wordpress.com/2019/02/25/salford-v-st-helens-match-preview/ )
Salford: 1. Niall Evalds, 3. Kris Welham, 4. Junior Sa’u, 5. Jake Bibby, 6. Robert Lui, 10. GIl Dudson, 11. Josh Jones, 12. George Griffin, 13. Mark Flanagan, 14. Joey Lussick, 16. Greg Burke, 17. Tyrone McCarthy, 18. Ben Nakubuwai, 19. Logan Tomkins, 20. Daniel Murray, 21. Derrel Olpherts, 23. Ken Sio, 24. Jansin Turgut, 31. Jackson Hastings.
Saints: 1. Jonny Lomax, 2. Tommy Makinson, 4. Mark Percival, 5. Regan Grace, 6. Theo Fages, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Luke Thompson, 11. Zeb Taia, 12. Joseph Paulo, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 15. Morgan Knowles, 16. Kyle Amor, 17. Dominique Peyroux, 19. Matty Lees, 20. Jack Ashworth, 22. James Bentley, 23. Lachlan Coote, 24. Matty Costello.
Red Number 1?
- Saints full backs have scored 12 tries in our last 11 games against Salford – Wellens (2 tries), McDonnell (1), Lomax (3), Barba (6)
- Mark Percival has scored in the last 2 away games against Salford – and has scored 6 tries in 6 away appearances against the Red Devils.
- In the last two meetings at the AJ Bell there has been a red card apiece – Matty Lees saw red for Saints last year and Ryan Lannon was given his marching orders in 2017.
- Saints record away at Salford since 2014 is 4 wins, 2 defeats (sequence since 2014: WWLLWW)
- Saints have won the 4 games in this sequence by at least 26 points (38-0 in 2014, 52-16 in 2015, 30-4 in 2017 and 60-10 in 2018).
- Every Saints three-quarter scored at least a try in last seasons match at the AJ Bell – Makinson (1 try), Morgan (2), Percival (1) and Grace (2) added to a try apiece from Dom Peyroux and Theo Fages as well as a hat-trick from Ben Barba.
Last Season at the AJ Bell Stadium
Salford Red Devils 10
Tries: McCarthy, Welham Goal: Shorrocks
St Helens 60
Tries: Makinson, Peyroux, Barba (3), Morgan (2), Grace (2), Percival, Fages Goals: Richardson (8)
Salford: Evalds, Johnson, Sa’u, Welham, Bibby, Shrorrocks, Littlejohn, Mossop, Tomkins, Burgess, Griffin, Lannon, Flanagan.
Replacements: Wood, Kopczak, Tasi, McCarthy
St Helens: Barba, Makinson, Morgan, Percival, Grace, Lomax, Richardson, Amor, Smith, Thompson, Peyroux, Taia, Wilkin.
Replacements: Fages, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Lees, Knowles