Redvee.Net - The Number One Independent St Helens RLFC Site
Home Fans Forum/Message Board Hattons Solicitors: sponsors of RedVeeAugust 25 2016 21:53:01
Sponsored by
Wish FM
Sponsored by



Fans Forum/Message Board

Rugby League TV Schedule

All League Tables

Match Ticket Information
Away Coaches: Book Here

Match Previews
Day of the Match
This Week in Time
Photo Gallery
Articles Generally

Hattons Solicitors: sponsors of RedVee
Saints Official Website
Saints Heritage Society
St. Helens Star Saints News
Super League Official Website
RFL Official Website
BBC Rugby League
Sky Rugby League
Sporting Life Rugby League

Contact Me
Mobile Downloads


Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
This Week in Time - No.156
5 Years Ago.
22nd February 2008, Bradford Bulls 16 Saints 22.

Saints were beset with injuries but straight from the kick off they tore into the home side with James Graham, Ade Gardner and Lee Gilmour all touching down in the first twenty minutes. Two Sean Long conversions gave Saints a 16-0 lead. Injury struck as Nick Fozzard was forced to leave the field and his replacement, Gareth Frodsham soon followed after being hit with a solid tackle. The Bulls scored a try each side of half time but excellent defence kept the home side out as they pounded Saints line then Saints moved up field allowing Kerion Cunningham to force his way over. Long converted. In the last minute Bradford crossed for a converted try to set up a tense finish but Saints held on for a deserved win

10 Years Ago.
21st February 2003, Saints 46 Bradford Bulls 22.

The new Super League season started with a repeat of the Grand Final and the Bulls seeking revenge for their last gasp defeat. Saints had a number of players injured and Ian Millward selected Jason Hooper, making his home debut, at hooker. These setbacks hardly showed as Saints ran in five tries in the first 30 minutes. Barrie Ward started the spree, with John Kirkpatrick, Paul Sculthorpe, Hooper and Ade Gardner adding the others as Saints went in 28-4 up at half time. Kirkpatrick and Sculthorpe doubled their try tally in the second half before the Bulls came back with two tries. Mickey Higham completed Saints try scoring. Sean Long finished the night with seven goals

15 Years Ago
21st February 1998.

With the Challenge Cup being played at fortnightly intervals before the start of the league season, Saints and all other Super League clubs had the weekend off. Down Under the Australia league decided against disbanding four clubs as originally planned. This impacted on Super League Europeís plans to expand, as there would not now be a surplus of quality Australian players to provide the quality required

20 Years Ago
17th February 1993, Widnes 26 Saints 8.

Four days after being knocked out of the cup, Saintsí championship hopes took a knock with a dispirited performance on a wet evening at Naughton Park. The game was re-arranged from New Years Day, when Saints were flying high following their Boxing Day win. Widnes who had won their last six games, scored two early tries but Saints hit back with a Tea Ropati try and a penalty goal and conversion by Paul Loughlin, to trail 14-8 at the break. In the second half Saints offered very little in attack except when Gary Connolly dropped a pass with the line in reach. Widnes added two converted tries. Further bad news was that championship rivals Wigan had a comfortable win at the Boulevard

25 Years Ago
17th February 1988, Saints 64 Hull 2.

Shane Cooper equaled a club record of six tries in a game as Saints ran riot against a Hull side that had won its last four games. Saints led 42-2 at half time with Barrie Ledger crossing for a hat trick. Bernard Dwyer and Chris Arkwright were the other try scorers, with Paul Loughlin kicking seven goals and Dave Tanner, three.

30 Years Ago
20th February 1983.

The fixture computer had given Saints a free date, which meant the players would have extra rest before their Challenge Cup tie at Headingley the following week. Leeds suffered a set back to their preparations with the suspension of their inspirational hooker David Ward.

35 Years Ago
19th February 1978.

Ranking alongside the worst snowstorms of the century a severe snow blizzard affected southwestern England, parts of the SW Midlands and much of south and mid-Wales and caused the postponement of the Wales v England game scheduled at St Helenís Ground in Swansea where more than 20,000 had seen Wales play France and Australia in 1975. It was to have been the first time the two countries had met in the Principality in more than 27 years and at least 20,000 had been expected at the game. Many fans travelling south on the day of the game where forced to turn back almost as soon as they had entered Wales

40 Years Ago
23rd February 1973, Salford 15 Saints 10.

Saints had a number of injury problems as they went down to their third consecutive defeat. Graham Rees started with Brian Coward and Les Greenall on the bench after long spells out of the team. Salford who had lost three of their first four league games had won their last eleven. A David Eckersley try, converted by Kel Coslett gave Saints a 5-2 half time lead. Salfordís points had come from a David Watkins penalty which continued his run of playing and scoring in every game of the season. After the home side went ahead with two second half tries Tony Karalius touched down and Coslettís second conversion leveled the scores before a late Salford try, meant Saints left the Willows empty handed.

Posted by Channel 22
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us at so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.