Redvee.Net - The Number One Independent St Helens RLFC Site
Home Fans Forum/Message Board Hattons Solicitors: sponsors of RedVeeSeptember 17 2014 11:29:46
Sponsored by
Wish FM
Sponsored by





Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
This Week in Time - No.107
5 Years Ago.
9th March 2007, Warrington 12 Saints 48.

A hat trick from Matt Gidley sent Saints temporary top of the league. He opened the scoring courtesy of the video ref and after Gardner had increase Saints lead, he added his second. Lee Briers sparked a Warrington revival after a clever tap penalty, to reduce the gap to 16-12 at half time. In the second half Francis Meli scored from dummy half before Gidley completed his treble, with Mike Bennett and Paul Wellens also crossing, before Leon Pryce added a double, the latter a length of the field effort. Sean Long added six conversions.

10 Years Ago.
8th March 2002, Saints 34 Salford 2.

Paul Newlove returned from injury and celebrated with a try as Saints made light work of overcoming a poor Salford side that had Malcolm Alker returning from suspension. John Stankevitch crossed for a rare try, with Darren Albert, Tommy Martyn and Keiron Cunningham adding further touchdowns before barrel chested prop forward Barry Ward crossed for his first try in a Saints shirt.

15 Years Ago
9th March 1997, Keighley Cougars 0 Saints 24. (Challenge Cup 6th Round)

Although Keighley were in the second division they were enjoying an upsurge in fortunes with an enthusiastic board of directors creating “Cougar-mania” and being rewarded with a crowd of over 7800 even though the game was played in heavy rain. On the field Saints had few problems in building up a 14-0 half time lead with three tries. Karl Hammond, now operating at loose forward opened the scoring with Anthony Sullivan and Tommy Martyn adding others. In the second half Paul Newlove and replacement Paul Anderson completed the try scoring. Lee Briers added a conversion in each half.

20 Years Ago
8th March 1992, Castleford 8 Saints 8.

This was a tough test to Saints title hopes as Castleford were unbeaten in their last ten games whilst Saints had won their last five league games. An Anthony Sullivan try in the first half gave Saints a two point lead at the break and Gary Connolly increased that with another unconverted try in the second half. In the final quarter Saints defence was repeatedly tested and was finally breached as Lee Crooks, who had kicked two earlier penalties barged over from close range.

25 Years Ago
4th March 1987, Castleford 12 Saints 10.

Saints fading title hopes virtually disappeared with a mid week defeat at Wheldon Road as Alex Murphy rested a number of key players. Brett Clark crossed in the first half to give Saints a 4-2 interval lead. Although Paul Round raced over in the second half and Bernard Dwyer converted, a late succession of penalties gave Castleford only their second win in seven games since beating Blackbrook in the Challenge Cup.

30 Years Ago
3rd March1982, Saints 14 Featherstone 4.

With club captain Eric Chisnall refusing to play at prop forward, Gary Moorby was moved up to the front row and former Bold Miners player, Bryan Gelling was given his 1st team debut on the bench. Both teams had had a tough winter but both had won their last two games. In a dull and uninspiring game, watched by less than 3,000, Saints led 7-4 at half time with Steve Bayliss and Graham Liptrot scoring tries and Neil Holding dropping a goal. In the second half Roy Haggerty increased Saints lead, with Clive Griffiths converting. Neil Holding added two further dropped goals. It was the first time since the opening game of the second that Saints had prevented their opponents scoring a try.

35 Years Ago
13th March 1977, Dewsbury 8 Saints 11 (Challenge Cup 3rd Round).

Saints were drawn away for the third consecutive round and came up against a Dewsbury side going well in the Second division. Playing down the slope Saints built up an 11-0 half time lead. Peter Glynn raced 40 metres up the touchline and Geoff Pimblett rounded off a move under the posts. Pimblett converted his own try and added a dropped goal. In the second half, with heavy rain falling Dewsbury, led by their talisman Nigel Stephenson hit back with two tries and a conversion to make it a nervous finish for the mass bank of Saints fans in the 10,000 crowd.

40 Years Ago
11th March 1972, Saints 27 Huddersfield 0.

Saints started a run of nine games in 28 days before their Challenge Cup Semi final, with a comfortable victory over mid table Huddersfield. Second rowers Eric Prescott and John Mantle repeatedly tore through a week defence with Mantle scoring twice. John Wills started the scoring with a try in the corner and Frank Wilson added another as Saints led 13-0 at half time. In the second half John Stephens scored his first try since October and Kel Coslett completed the scoring with 6 goals.

Posted by Channel 22
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us at so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.