Hattons Solicitors Banner
RedVee Merchandise At CraftyTees.co.uk

Thread: Great Saints Tries - No.3 - Article

In The South Stand

Default Great Saints Tries - No.3 - Article

As threatened. A little something from before the Super League era just in case any of you were starting to think I was some kind of Johnny Come Lately.....

http://www.redvee.net/great-tries-no...-hull-fc-1991/

Learning All The Songs

Another quality work. You are so right about Loughlin,he was quality. He could slice through the best defence and would be a star in today's game. Hunte was quality as well and could cover any of the back positions. I'm trying to think how long ago it was since we had a winger who wouls make a bit of space for himself once he got clear and then give the last defender the old in and out. Albert maybe ?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Another quality work. You are so right about Loughlin,he was quality. He could slice through the best defence and would be a star in today's game. Hunte was quality as well and could cover any of the back positions. I'm trying to think how long ago it was since we had a winger who wouls make a bit of space for himself once he got clear and then give the last defender the old in and out. Albert maybe ?
    Thanks again Brook. Yes, I think you are right. I can't think of another once since Albert. Ran into him a few times on his 'social outings' too and he was a very nice bloke. And a top, top player. Ade Gardner had some wheels but the sides he was in didn't really play in a way that would create too much space for him from deep.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    As threatened. A little something from before the Super League era just in case any of you were starting to think I was some kind of Johnny Come Lately.....

http://www.redvee.net/great-tries-no...-hull-fc-1991/
    Another great read. Salutary lesson to read how small the crowd was. I'm one of those who worry about our future when faced with modern competition from all over the place not just rugby. In fact the average crowds now are probably better. Loughlin was a classy centre and I had forgotten how quick Quirk was. Thoroughly enjoying these pieces.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Great article mate, that game was one of the dullest i can recall until Les did his thing.
    As brook says you're spot on about Lockers but he wasn't the same player after his broken arm. He imo was the best centre in the league prior to that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket UhAhGeorgie Mann's Avatar

Brilliant. First night game my dad took me to that. Remember being on the wall just down from the wheelchair area. Can't say i remember anything else about the game other than that try! Great these articles thanks.

Noooobie

Thanks again for another very enjoyable read. My Saints wilderness years were between 84-96 when I was in the military based mainly overseas, so your writing is great to fill in a few blank spots.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Another great read. Salutary lesson to read how small the crowd was. I'm one of those who worry about our future when faced with modern competition from all over the place not just rugby. In fact the average crowds now are probably better. Loughlin was a classy centre and I had forgotten how quick Quirk was. Thoroughly enjoying these pieces.
    We have always seemed to have a negative perspective on our game but I think that has got worse since football grew into the absolute monster it is now and since union started making some real strides also. The problem doesn't seem to be maintaining interest in the game but making that interest grow to new areas. It's very difficult culturally. Thanks as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Great article mate, that game was one of the dullest i can recall until Les did his thing.
    As brook says you're spot on about Lockers but he wasn't the same player after his broken arm. He imo was the best centre in the league prior to that.

Thanks very much for reading and for your comments. Agree on both counts. Not a classic game but certainly a classic moment. I've had some stick from readers pointing out that Quirk's try against Widnes in the semi-final was the defining moment of his career but I think this one is equally memorable. Loughlin was always one of my favourite players in those days. Minor miracle that he wasn't prised away by the other lot with their big fat bags of cash.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by UhAhGeorgie Mann View Post
    Brilliant. First night game my dad took me to that. Remember being on the wall just down from the wheelchair area. Can't say i remember anything else about the game other than that try! Great these articles thanks.
    Thanks very much. I don't remember anything else about it either to be honest other than being cold and wet. But if you were sat on that wall I probably spent most of my time craning my neck to try and see past you. Bloody kids on that wall.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    Thanks again for another very enjoyable read. My Saints wilderness years were between 84-96 when I was in the military based mainly overseas, so your writing is great to fill in a few blank spots.
    Thanks again Vinny. I had a wilderness period myself after suffering one Grand Final defeat in the rain to Leeds too many, and due to the decrepit state of that ground in its later years. But not as long as that. I think I have only missed two home games since we moved to Langtree Park. Glad to be able to remind you of what you missed. Tell you what though, 1996 was a good time to come back wasn't it....?

Thanks Stephen for another great memory jogger. As always, I was stood in the paddock near the halfway line (can’t remember whether the Saints dugout was in front of me at that time) and the joy of that try still lives clearly with me, maybe made more memorable by Ron Hoofe’s legendary commentary. Even though not as important as his try against Widnes in the 1989 Challenge Cup semi, I suspect for many that effort against Hull was the quintessential example of Les Quirk.

As far as your mentions of Paul Loughlin and Scott Gibbs are concerned, I believe many hold the latter in higher esteem because he was only at Saints for a couple of seasons but they coincided with the start of Saints’s Super League successes and the end of a long barren period. Unfortunately for Lockers, he was with Saints when we clearly were second best and his worth has been downgraded accordingly. Nevertheless, I regarded him as an outstanding player whose potential was fully shown in games such as the John Player Final in 1988 and a couple of his apppearances for Great Britain. I still feel sad for him that he missed out on Challenge Cup success as a result of him being part of the package to attract Newlove to Saints.

Starting A Programme Collection

Thanks, Steven. I remember it well, stood on the 20m line on the popular side with my mate Pete and his cousin, the much missed Geoff Cropper. Lockers and Quirk were a pretty good left wing partnership, sadly largely forgotten about now, Lockers was a real big match player and a great winger's centre as well as a top kicker. And as for Quirk, anyone who scores tries in ten successive games must be a decent winger. He was a strong and direct runner, as we can see from this clip.

Got A Season Ticket

Another great read Stephen, thanks! How good was Ropati there. Lovely dip of the shoulder to hold two defenders and give Lockers a yard of space. Les was quick and elegant as a runner wasn’t he? Barrie Ledger was probably as quick but not as stylish and we used to say you had to pop a pint on the wall behind the tryline to get him to shift!