Hattons Solicitors Banner
RedVee Merchandise At CraftyTees.co.uk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Saints Tries - No.2 - Article

In The South Stand

Default Great Saints Tries - No.2 - Article

This week a look at Anthony Sullivan's length of the field-er against the Pies at the old JJB in 2000 in a classic 30-28 win inspired by Super Tommy. No personal angle this week but who wants to read my life story when you can read about Sully and Tommy ripping the pies a new one?

http://www.redvee.net/great-saints-t...-v-wigan-2000/

Got A Season Ticket

A brilliant read Stephen, thanks again for keeping the off-season alive for us. What great memories. Just how good was Tommy God!! My favorite player of all time. I remember sitting outside the Burger King near the JJB (as it was) after the game smiling at all the Pie's walking by. Best Whopper I have ever tasted! I still harbor hopes that Grace may live up to his name and emulate some of Sullivan's wonderful combination of pace, balance and power, but to do that we need Percy to develop his own game to get him the ball more regularly in a bit of space.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by st.david View Post
    A brilliant read Stephen, thanks again for keeping the off-season alive for us. What great memories. Just how good was Tommy God!! My favorite player of all time. I remember sitting outside the Burger King near the JJB (as it was) after the game smiling at all the Pie's walking by. Best Whopper I have ever tasted! I still harbor hopes that Grace may live up to his name and emulate some of Sullivan's wonderful combination of pace, balance and power, but to do that we need Percy to develop his own game to get him the ball more regularly in a bit of space.
    Firstly thanks again, it is much appreciated. However, I am a little more pessimistic about the chances of ever seeing another Sullivan I'm afraid. I don't see it in Grace unfortunately. He is a totally different size and shape to Sullivan and seems to rely on quick changes of direction. From what I have seen so far he doesn't seem as quick (relative to his opponents I suppose) over a longer distance. Also he doesn't yet have that awareness you need. All too often he makes a break and instead of knowing what is around him and just pinning back his ears he seems to be constantly looking around him for another defender to beat. Then he gets clobbered. He has much promise but much to learn I think.

But yes these are great memories for me and I enjoy writing them very much so thank you again for reading.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    Firstly thanks again, it is much appreciated. However, I am a little more pessimistic about the chances of ever seeing another Sullivan I'm afraid. I don't see it in Grace unfortunately. He is a totally different size and shape to Sullivan and seems to rely on quick changes of direction. From what I have seen so far he doesn't seem as quick (relative to his opponents I suppose) over a longer distance. Also he doesn't yet have that awareness you need. All too often he makes a break and instead of knowing what is around him and just pinning back his ears he seems to be constantly looking around him for another defender to beat. Then he gets clobbered. He has much promise but much to learn I think.

But yes these are great memories for me and I enjoy writing them very much so thank you again for reading.
    He has indeed a lot to learn. Mind you I can remember despairing of Sullivan for a few seasons early on. He had a nasty injury (hamstring?) at one stage and it must have killed his confidence. He kept comin inside instead of pinning his ears back. Not sure what changed (having Newlove as his center must have helped!) but by 1999 / 00 he was a try scoring machine. Grace is very young yet. I will keep the faith!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

That Tommy Martyn was ok.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs

Have to say what an effort from Hall to support Sullivan,he's run from the right corner all the way to the left to offer himself. I would love to go back to the days of free scoring wingers. Personally i like wingers to be judged on how many trys the score and not how many yards they make bringing the ball back.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Have to say what an effort from Hall to support Sullivan,he's run from the right corner all the way to the left to offer himself. I would love to go back to the days of free scoring wingers. Personally i like wingers to be judged on how many trys the score and not how many yards they make bringing the ball back.
    Amen Brook, amen. Though I always thought Hall was useless....

Learning All The Songs

Amen Brook, amen. Though I always thought Hall was useless....
    He might not of been any good,but it was still an effort.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

PS another great article pal.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    PS another great article pal.
    Cheers Don. Much appreciated.

Noooobie

Firstly a great read, thanks again Ste.
    T

Secondly, it's set me thinking, which always ends up with a disapppointing result, but anyway...... Tommy Martyn is one of our coaches at present and I know people have complained recently about Danny Richardson being a little disorganised, but is that because we are used to too much structured play and not enough off the cuff play? Tommy was one of my favourite players, especially daft things like the infamous 'foot of god' when he nicked an extra ball from a ball boy and kicked it on by our defensive try line to buy some time, (can't remember against whom or when!).

Question: should we allow Danny R more mistakes so we get all the invention? In my mind, it's a yes, but for you.....

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Firstly a great read, thanks again Ste.
    T

Secondly, it's set me thinking, which always ends up with a disapppointing result, but anyway...... Tommy Martyn is one of our coaches at present and I know people have complained recently about Danny Richardson being a little disorganised, but is that because we are used to too much structured play and not enough off the cuff play? Tommy was one of my favourite players, especially daft things like the infamous 'foot of god' when he nicked an extra ball from a ball boy and kicked it on by our defensive try line to buy some time, (can't remember against whom or when!).

Question: should we allow Danny R more mistakes so we get all the invention? In my mind, it's a yes, but for you.....
    Thank you very much mate. Much appreciated. With regards to Richardson the question remains whether the game these days allows for players to play the way Martyn did. Sad but increasingly I'd say that it does not.

Learning All The Songs

Thank you very much mate. Much appreciated. With regards to Richardson the question remains whether the game these days allows for players to play the way Martyn did. Sad but increasingly I'd say that it does not.
    It's a pity about the way the game is going,the off the cuff style has given way to set completion statistics and low error counts. Free scoring wingers as mentioned earlier in this thread are giving way to yard makers,less and less it's about how many trys and more and more it's yards on kick returns. In these days of instant message boards ect i also wonder how Martyn's injury record would of been judged by people,his first few years were an injury disaster.

Noooobie

Another great read, thanks Stephen. I’m sure it is true with most things that we remember moments, and it is a combination of moments that shape our world view. I once was chatting to Phil Clarke when he was living in Australia and he asked about my Saints heroes and I mentioned Tommy, not just because he could do what we saw in this game but that he showed his love for the team and fans so openly.
    And I should obviously say Sully was what we all love in a winger, speed, agility and strength- sometimes I thought he would hurdle his way to the line.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    Another great read, thanks Stephen. Im sure it is true with most things that we remember moments, and it is a combination of moments that shape our world view. I once was chatting to Phil Clarke when he was living in Australia and he asked about my Saints heroes and I mentioned Tommy, not just because he could do what we saw in this game but that he showed his love for the team and fans so openly.
    And I should obviously say Sully was what we all love in a winger, speed, agility and strength- sometimes I thought he would hurdle his way to the line.
    Cheers Vinny much appreciated. Clarkey wanted to talk about Saints? He must have been feeling a bit off colour that day...

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Great memories once again Stephen.

Sully was a great example of a player who matured into a great winger. He had loads of potential when he came but lacked confidence and experience. We only got the best out of him in his later years.

It's an interesting contrast to your last piece which highlighted Danny Arnold, who started like a house on fire and then disappeared pretty quickly.
    Last edited by Kakariki; 29th November 2017 at 09:49. Reason: Spelling mistake

Thanks for 2 things, Stephen.

Firstly the interesting article which brought back happy memories of seeing Sullivan in full flight. I always used to wish Saints would move the ball quickly to him straight from a scrum so hed have the room to run round his opposite number but sadly cannot recall them ever doing so. I do remember a few occasions in the days when teams were allowed to take a quick 20 metre restart, however, when we managed to get the ball to him with plenty of space and he outstripped the defence. He wasnt without his faults, of course, and I never felt safe when he was trying to catch a bomb (the Qualifying Semi-final 4-40 defeat to Bradford being a prime example of this frailty) or trying to make ground from the play-the-ball.

Secondly, having watched the YouTube clip to which you provided a link, I spent a long time watching various other highlights, all thoroughly enjoyable. Nevertheless, I must admit that I was also surprised that every side also contained at least a couple of makeweights that no one would welcome into the squad these days although the number of true great/good players in each team made it easy to overlook the dross.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    Great memories once again Stephen.

Sully was a great example of a player who matured into a great winger. He had loads of potential when he came but lacked confidence and experience. We only got the best out of him in his later years.

It's an interesting contrast to your last piece which highlighted Danny Arnold, who started like a house on fire and then disappeared pretty quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Thanks for 2 things, Stephen.

Firstly the interesting article which brought back happy memories of seeing Sullivan in full flight. I always used to wish Saints would move the ball quickly to him straight from a scrum so he’d have the room to run round his opposite number but sadly cannot recall them ever doing so. I do remember a few occasions in the days when teams were allowed to take a quick 20 metre restart, however, when we managed to get the ball to him with plenty of space and he outstripped the defence. He wasn’t without his faults, of course, and I never felt safe when he was trying to catch a bomb (the Qualifying Semi-final 4-40 defeat to Bradford being a prime example of this frailty) or trying to make ground from the play-the-ball.

Secondly, having watched the YouTube clip to which you provided a link, I spent a long time watching various other highlights, all thoroughly enjoyable. Nevertheless, I must admit that I was also surprised that every side also contained at least a couple of makeweights that no one would welcome into the squad these days although the number of true great/good players in each team made it easy to overlook the dross.
    Thank you both for reading and for your comments. Always appreciated. Sully is one of my favourite players of the past. I think because I was younger when he was with us and so filled with a lot more enthusiasm. Everything seemed so much more exciting then. Also though because he reminds me of a time when wingers were wingers. I don't think we will ever go back to that even if somewhere along the line the penny drops among coaches and even some fans that the modern style of rugby is turning us off.

I'll have to have a think about what to waffle on about next week now.....

I loved watching Sully play. He was very ropey with kicks (something that Wigan used to often take advantage of), but I just didn't care because he was a glorious sight when in full flight. I remember a game at KR - I think it might have been against Sheffield in the '96 title run-in - in which Bobbie Goulding threw a cut out pass to Sullivan, who had a slight overlap, in our own 30. As soon as he'd made the pass Goulding immediately punched the air in celebration, as he knew Sully was going to burn everyone off.

I miss the days when wingers were generally clueless in at least one aspect of the game but could run like the wind.

[QUOTE=Dux;721505]I loved watching Sully play. He was very ropey with kicks (something that Wigan used to often take advantage of), but I just didn't care because he was a glorious sight when in full flight. I remember a game at KR - I think it might have been against Sheffield in the '96 title run-in - in which Bobbie Goulding threw a cut out pass to Sullivan, who had a slight overlap, in our own 30. As soon as he'd made the pass Goulding immediately punched the air in celebration, as he knew Sully was going to burn everyone off.

I miss the days when wingers were generally clueless in at least one aspect of the game but could run like the wind.[/QUOTE]

That sums up Les Quirk to a tee! Always one of my favourites, was Lightning Les.

Saints played Wigan again in the play-offs and Sully scored an even better try that night.

Watch from about 2 minutes 15

In The South Stand

Saints played Wigan again in the play-offs and Sully scored an even better try that night.

I saw that one on YouTube when I was researching this. At first I thought that was the game when Tommy scored the hat-trick after the Gilmour thing and I couldn't believe Sully had scored two worldies like that in the same game. I was right, he didn't as it turned out. That one is a blinder, absolutely fabulous in and out of the kind you just don't see any more because nobody cares about making space on the edges for it. I still prefer the one I wrote about though, just because of the intensity of that game, Tommy's 40 metre run from under his own sticks and the sight of Mr Robinson not seeming to know what day it was just before the rah-rahs declared him the greatest thing ever.

Noooobie

Cheers Vinny much appreciated. Clarkey wanted to talk about Saints? He must have been feeling a bit off colour that day...
    Actually I think he had/has a great admiration for Saints and certainly enjoyed their style of play around this period.

Learning All The Songs

And what about that try at 5:10?

Super League doesn't see two tries of that quality a year now, let alone in one match!

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I loved watching Sully play. He was very ropey with kicks (something that Wigan used to often take advantage of), but I just didn't care because he was a glorious sight when in full flight. I remember a game at KR - I think it might have been against Sheffield in the '96 title run-in - in which Bobbie Goulding threw a cut out pass to Sullivan, who had a slight overlap, in our own 30. As soon as he'd made the pass Goulding immediately punched the air in celebration, as he knew Sully was going to burn everyone off.

I miss the days when wingers were generally clueless in at least one aspect of the game but could run like the wind.
    Thanks Stephen another great piece. I miss lightening wingers as well. Sully was one of the best.