Hattons Solicitors Banner
RedVee Merchandise At CraftyTees.co.uk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Youth tour

  1. #1
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,250
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Youth tour

    A great diary on the Saints website giving progress on the youth tour of Australia... https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2017/10/1...-tour-day-3-2/

  2. #2
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    316
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Yes its well worth reading, we do have a very impressive record over there too which reads P20. W16. D1.
    Last edited by 58er; 11th October 2017 at 12:18. Reason: error

  3. #3
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    985
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Are the teams we send over there younger than the original few groups? The lads now look so much younger and smaller than those of the past.

  4. #4
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,453
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Pretty sure no year has ever missed out so don't think so.

  5. #5
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    The tours are every 2 years. They consist of players who have just finished the scholarship ( 16 years old ) and 1st year academy players ( 17 years old). By doing it that way all players entering the academy get to experience the tour.

  6. #6
    Learning All The Songs WA10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    St Helens
    Posts
    1,408
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Forward Bloke View Post
    Are the teams we send over there younger than the original few groups? The lads now look so much younger and smaller than those of the past.
    You're just getting older mate

  7. #7
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    1,858
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    It must be a massive attraction for prospective players and, whilst I know the players themselves have to fundraise to part-fund their participation, the club should be hugely applauded for the effort & resources it puts into this.
    #baainthatnumber

  8. #8
    Learning All The Songs STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    1,555
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Great result from the young Saints winning 36-10 against physically bigger opposition. Jack Welsby seemed to be involved in a lot of the plays.

  9. #9
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,417
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Great result from the young Saints winning 36-10 against physically bigger opposition. Jack Welsby seemed to be involved in a lot of the plays.
    What age groups are they playing against in Aus?

  10. #10
    Learning All The Songs STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    1,555
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    What age groups are they playing against in Aus?
    I think it’s 16/17 scholarships but the Canterbury Bulldogs looked physically a lot older.

  11. #11
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,846
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think it’s 16/17 scholarships but the Canterbury Bulldogs looked physically a lot older.
    Some big islanders in that team by the look of it.

  12. #12
    Learning All The Songs Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    2,466
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    32-8 victory over Central Coast Roosters.

    Its a real credit to the club how well these young touring teams do over there.

  13. #13
    Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,247
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    This isn't meant to be a negative post and what Saints have achieved over the years in Aus at this level is absolutely fantastic. We are obviously able to compete at this level with the Aussie kids.

    BUT what happens in the intervening years that we can rarely compete at open age level? This is not a dig at Saints and they are to be congratulated on their continued success. Do other clubs do the same with the same amount of success?

  14. #14
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    316
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    This isn't meant to be a negative post and what Saints have achieved over the years in Aus at this level is absolutely fantastic. We are obviously able to compete at this level with the Aussie kids.

    BUT what happens in the intervening years that we can rarely compete at open age level? This is not a dig at Saints and they are to be congratulated on their continued success. Do other clubs do the same with the same amount of success?
    We are the only club to have made tours for our junior players. But yes is does raise the question why our british youngsters seem to get left behind from mid teens to young men.
    Congrats saints on a convincing win 32-8 which included 7 tries, partly makes up for our hammering by the Roosters 1st team in the wcc.

  15. #15
    In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    West Stand, singing.
    Posts
    2,729
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 58er View Post
    We are the only club to have made tours for our junior players. But yes is does raise the question why our british youngsters seem to get left behind from mid teens to young men.
    Congrats saints on a convincing win 32-8 which included 7 tries, partly makes up for our hammering by the Roosters 1st team in the wcc.
    The club do well IMO. There are plenty of players in the squad who have come up through the system and are at other clubs. The higher the level the more competitive it gets, some of these lads won't be as good as others and it's the same in any sport.

    The tours are great though, obviously rugby wise but they'll make mates for life and will come back different people to when they left. Good to hear they've started well.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

  16. #16
    Learning All The Songs Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    2,466
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    The club do well IMO. There are plenty of players in the squad who have come up through the system and are at other clubs. The higher the level the more competitive it gets, some of these lads won't be as good as others and it's the same in any sport.

    The tours are great though, obviously rugby wise but they'll make mates for life and will come back different people to when they left. Good to hear they've started well.
    Could you just clarify that, Tez? Are you saying that some of the lads on the current Saints tour are signed up to different pro clubs?

  17. #17
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    985
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Could you just clarify that, Tez? Are you saying that some of the lads on the current Saints tour are signed up to different pro clubs?
    Think he means that some lads don’t make it at Saints and end up elsewhere, Matty Ashurt at Wakefield played here fkr a while but ended up leaving as he wasn’t good enough. Then there’s David Hewitt, Oliver Davies from 2 tours back who ended up leaving to Oldham and Swinton.

  18. #18
    In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    West Stand, singing.
    Posts
    2,729
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Could you just clarify that, Tez? Are you saying that some of the lads on the current Saints tour are signed up to different pro clubs?
    No I mean as in Gaskell, Ellis etc who came up through the Saints ranks. Apologies, didn't make it very clear.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

  19. #19
    Learning All The Songs Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    2,466
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    No I mean as in Gaskell, Ellis etc who came up through the Saints ranks. Apologies, didn't make it very clear.
    Got you.

    Yep, it's a great initiative by the club and must be a big draw for talented young kids who have a choice of clubs to sign for.

  20. #20
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    985
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Got you.

    Yep, it's a great initiative by the club and must be a big draw for talented young kids who have a choice of clubs to sign for.
    Not sure what happens now but the face off came with

    Australia tour with Saints vs Wigan/Wire offering more money

  21. #21
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    710
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Potential pathway into the NRL too for some youngsters.

  22. #22
    Learning All The Songs STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    1,555
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    The tour gets a fair bit of publicity amongst the younger set and attracts the ambitious kids from other service areas, I think we have got some talented kids from Warrington and Widnes in the past, Percival and Sav come to mind.

  23. #23
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    If the youngsters beat Penrith Panthers next week this current squad will go down as the best touring team of the lot, at least statistically.
    I for one thought this years tourist may struggle a bit but they have been outstanding.
    Im hearing great things about Jack Welsby.

  24. #24
    Learning All The Songs STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    1,555
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Eclipse View Post
    If the youngsters beat Penrith Panthers next week this current squad will go down as the best touring team of the lot, at least statistically.
    I for one thought this years tourist may struggle a bit but they have been outstanding.
    Im hearing great things about Jack Welsby.
    Yes he's been fairly prominent in the games so far, another product from Blackbrook, seems to be a big lad for a 16 year old..... Hopefully one for the future sooner then later, played for England and is a captain of the saints side.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 23rd October 2017 at 09:31.

  25. #25
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    316
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    A great result in nilling south Sydney 26-0. MOM award went to wingman Hutchings.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •