Hattons Solicitors Banner
RedVee Merchandise At CraftyTees.co.uk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Challenge Cup 2018

  1. #1
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    298
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Challenge Cup 2018

    Still no date for next year's challenge cup final. Does anybody know what's happening?

  2. #2
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road
    Posts
    497
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    I would guess it's either going to be 25th Aug (holiday weekend) or 18th Aug

  3. #3
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,250
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Bank holiday weekends are a pain. Motorways and railways all closed for maintenance.

  4. #4
    In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,942
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I hope it's announced soon and I hope it's changed from August bank holiday.

  5. #5
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road
    Posts
    497
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I hope it's announced soon and I hope it's changed from August bank holiday.
    I don't think that's likely in imminent future, the TV agreement with the BBC fo August has a few more seasons to go.

    Don't forget Wembley Stadium is owned by the FA its up to them when we can use it

  6. #6
    In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,942
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I don't think that's likely in imminent future, the TV agreement with the BBC fo August has a few more seasons to go.

    Don't forget Wembley Stadium is owned by the FA its up to them when we can use it
    I thought so TBH but it is odd they usually advertise Wembley tickets in the match programme and on the RFL website.

  7. #7
    Starting A Programme Collection Mac Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Normanton, West Yorkshire
    Age
    24
    Posts
    939
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Had a reality check the other day...

    2018 will make it 10 years since we were last in the challenge cup final. Not good enough. Wouldn't mind if we had been there at least once and lost, but we haven't even been close some years as well!

    Needs to be a priority this year for me.
    This wonderful St. Helens OUTFIT

  8. #8
    Learning All The Songs Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    1,405
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Saint View Post
    Had a reality check the other day...

    2018 will make it 10 years since we were last in the challenge cup final. Not good enough. Wouldn't mind if we had been there at least once and lost, but we haven't even been close some years as well!

    Needs to be a priority this year for me.
    Not sure there's a lot we can do about it this year...
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  9. #9
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road
    Posts
    497
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    If you get a couple of easy ties early on it can be the semis before you get a top side.
    On a given day we can beat any team ( we did last season)

    So we've as good a chance as anyone.

  10. #10
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.
    Age
    45
    Posts
    12,041
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Saint View Post
    Had a reality check the other day...

    2018 will make it 10 years since we were last in the challenge cup final. Not good enough. Wouldn't mind if we had been there at least once and lost, but we haven't even been close some years as well!

    Needs to be a priority this year for me.
    Longest run without a Challenge Cup Final appearance since the era up to 1953. It really does need to be a priority next season. Who would ever have believed that would happen as we celebrated three wins in a row in the competition back on that hot summer's day in 2008?
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Alemannia Aachen, Borussia Dortmund, Preston North End, Celtic, RC Strasbourg-Alsace,
    St. Helens Town
    , Roda JC Kerkrade, KAS Eupen, Girona FC

  11. #11
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    255
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    The last two years performances, regardless of the fact we were playing decent sides (you have to in order to win the thing!) were embarrassing. Stuffed by Cas and Hull.

  12. #12
    Learning All The Songs Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    2,466
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    On the plus side, I remember going to that 2008 Cup Final and it all feeling rather routine. When we next get there it will be a special occasion.

  13. #13
    In The South Stand 49er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,724
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Can anyone tell me when Saints will be entering the CC rounds? Including what weekend that might be? Trying to plan holidays without missing a game. I can't seem to find it on Internet although I am sure it's there somewhere. Thanks in advance.
    You have found true love when that person still holds your hand when your life is falling apart.

  14. #14
    In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Golborne
    Posts
    3,987
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Can anyone tell me when Saints will be entering the CC rounds? Including what weekend that might be? Trying to plan holidays without missing a game. I can't seem to find it on Internet although I am sure it's there somewhere. Thanks in advance.
    We will enter the cup at Round 6 which was played last year May 13-14 so I'd guess around there. The Cup website is still showing last years dates.

    Oh and the final is on August 25th

  15. #15
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    32
    Posts
    8,361
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Surveyor View Post
    Still no date for next year's challenge cup final. Does anybody know what's happening?

    The date was announced weeks ago with the rest of the fixtures. The final is on 25th August.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  16. #16
    In The South Stand 49er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,724
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    We will enter the cup at Round 6 which was played last year May 13-14 so I'd guess around there. The Cup website is still showing last years dates.
    Oh and the final is on August 25th
    Thanks. Can you predict if we will win that round so I can look further ahead..
    You have found true love when that person still holds your hand when your life is falling apart.

  17. #17
    In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Golborne
    Posts
    3,987
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Thanks. Can you predict if we will win that round so I can look further ahead..
    Id say it's fairly likely but I don't want to tempt fate haha!

  18. #18
    Learning All The Songs Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    1,405
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    Id say it's fairly likely but I don't want to tempt fate haha!
    I'd say fairly unlikely given the last 2 years
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  19. #19
    In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Golborne
    Posts
    3,987
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I'd say fairly unlikely given the last 2 years
    It's our year

  20. #20
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    298
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    The date was announced weeks ago with the rest of the fixtures. The final is on 25th August.
    Yes I’ve seen the fixtures thanks. You’re replying to a post that’s nearly 2 months old!

  21. #21
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Burtonwood
    Posts
    493
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    It's our year
    I think you are getting us mixed up with Warrington!

  22. #22
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    32
    Posts
    8,361
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Surveyor View Post
    Yes I’ve seen the fixtures thanks. You’re replying to a post that’s nearly 2 months old!
    Haha didn't realise that. Sorry mate.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  23. #23
    In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Golborne
    Posts
    3,987
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southstandsaint View Post
    I think you are getting us mixed up with Warrington!
    Tongue is pretty much superglued to cheek

    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Learning All The Songs Tabasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rivington Road, St Helens
    Posts
    1,806
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    When people talk about prioritising the Challenge Cup, I’m never sure what they really mean? Are they suggesting that we should rest players every week to ensure they’re fit and raring to go for the cup games? Far better, surely, just to try and win each and every game as it comes along.

  25. #25
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    LP North Stand, wheelchair area
    Posts
    3,254
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    When people talk about prioritising the Challenge Cup, Im never sure what they really mean? Are they suggesting that we should rest players every week to ensure theyre fit and raring to go for the cup games? Far better, surely, just to try and win each and every game as it comes along.
    I think you are right. The last two seasons we have been unfortunate enough to draw quality Super League opposition at a time coinciding with a couple of rotten spells of form. The year before that we got knocked out in the semi-final by the team that won the treble. I don't think we have gone into the Challenge Cup games during this period without recognising its importance, we just haven't been good enough. Once again it will depend on the draw and the form and fitness of the side when the ties come around.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •