Hattons Solicitors Banner
RedVee Merchandise At CraftyTees.co.uk

Thread: County of Origin

Got A Season Ticket

Default County of Origin

Late last year I'm sure I recall there being an RFL board meeting with one agenda topic being the return of Lancashire/Yorkshire?? Nothing of note announced following this. Does it have any legs or was it just decided to be a non starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When they tried it last time it was poorly supported and was soon dropped. In principle it's a good idea as the experience should be like SOO but the reality is that we couldn't fit it into the fixture schedule and I don't think tickets would sell. Think that ship has sailed.

In The West Stand paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    When they tried it last time it was poorly supported and was soon dropped. In principle it's a good idea as the experience should be like SOO but the reality is that we couldn't fit it into the fixture schedule and I don't think tickets would sell. Think that ship has sailed.
    Quite right when Dom peters was getting a call up, it's days were limited

Got A Season Ticket

I think it would definitely need a re-structure of the league and fixtures to accommodate it but I thought that was what they were looking at. Maybe a few years off anyway if it is to come to fruition.

I'd happily see a super league of 12 teams playing each other just 2x plus a magic fixture (23 game ref season) then top 4 playoffs as per after the current super 8's. Maximum 25 league games per year including play offs. That would free up adequate time for a second cup competition (which would be run say Wednesday evenings as to encourage reserve grade players and youth etc.) and then would create free weekends for Rep games. In the past we've had horrific players playing in these games ... Anthony Stewart etc but a quick look at possible sides and it could be great. It would need NRL backing though I feel for full impact, relieving players of their club duties to play the games (the same way they do for their Origin) and I think it would be competitive.

Sides something like:

Lancashire

S. Tomkins
    T. Makinson
    K. Watkins
    M. Percival
    J. Burgess
    G. Williams
    M. Sneyd
    C. Hill
    J. Roby
    J. Graham
    B. Currie
    L. Farrell
    S. O'Loughlin

S. Ratchford
    M. Cooper
    R. Sutton
    J. Greenwood

Yorkshire

Z. Hardaker
    J. McGilvary
    J. Connor
    M. Shenton
    G. Eden
    G. Widdop
    L. Gale
    T. Burgess
    J. Hodgson
    S. Taylor
    E. Whitehead
    J. Bateman
    S. Burgess

D. Clark
    A. Walmsley
    G. Burgess
    B. Ferres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

The whole idea is completely dead in the water. Lancashire vs Yorkshire. Who am I supposed to support? I'm from Warrington, in the heartlands of the sport. Lancashire is a Manchester based cricket team (I don't like Manchester) and a county with places like Blackpool and Preston in. It just has no relevance or meaning at all. Being younger than me, most of the players would presumably also struggle for attachment to the concept as well.

Starting A Programme Collection RedSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    The whole idea is completely dead in the water. Lancashire vs Yorkshire. Who am I supposed to support? I'm from Warrington, in the heartlands of the sport. Lancashire is a Manchester based cricket team (I don't like Manchester) and a county with places like Blackpool and Preston in. It just has no relevance or meaning at all. Being younger than me, most of the players would presumably also struggle for attachment to the concept as well.
    Warrington is historically in Lancashire, as is St. Helens, and most of the north west.

From the outside world, an Origin style competition based on Lancashire and Yorkshire would just be confirmation of the localised nature of rugby league. As for those emigres such as myself who follow the game but are not from the north, I suspect many would have little affiliation with either side other than, perhaps, just hating Lancashire slightly less than Yorkshire (or vice versa). I recall when the previous Battle of the Roses concept was tried, my only interest was the hope that no Saints players got injured.

Noooobie

I must admit I hated games that had saints players in both teams. Maybe a game based on clubs rather than players might work. So Lancs would have Saints, Wigan, Warrington, Salford, etc Yorkshire Leeds, Cas, Hull, Huddersfield etc. At least all the saints players would be in one team.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    From the outside world, an Origin style competition based on Lancashire and Yorkshire would just be confirmation of the localised nature of rugby league. As for those emigres such as myself who follow the game but are not from the north, I suspect many would have little affiliation with either side other than, perhaps, just hating Lancashire slightly less than Yorkshire (or vice versa). I recall when the previous Battle of the Roses concept was tried, my only interest was the hope that no Saints players got injured.
    Totally agree.

The RFL is once again looking to resurrect these type of fixtures to create 'intensity' as part of the age old regurgitation that this is required to beat the Australians.

The fact that the standards of the Super League need to be raised a notch or two and driven by better participation throughout the sport seems to escaped their addled minds.