Hattons Solicitors Banner
RedVee Merchandise At CraftyTees.co.uk

Thread: Believe

Default Believe

Well, why not? We can do it, just don't let me go through another one, like that first half! I know we are regarded as a 'no chance' in some circles, but we can do it!

COYS

Got A Season Ticket

Too right. And even if we can't, we might as well have a go at believing that we can. It's more fun that way.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

A win next week and we'll be back in the mix.

Learning All The Songs

If we can learn to win away then we have a chance I can't think of a reason why our away record is so poor.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Saint View Post
    If we can learn to win away then we have a chance I can't think of a reason why our away record is so poor.
    Agreed. It's been a strange season away from home. Yet we win games in France and at Newcastle. Just give us a win away v wakes and it could quite possibly be a turning point. Hope so.

Learning All The Songs

We've lost some stinkers this season (should have won at both Widnes & Hull, and buried Wakey at TTWS), but that loss to jammy Leeds a fortnight ago was a killer.
    #baainthatnumber

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Next week is a big game but the hardest part of the season is still to come. That away statistic needs to be broken next Sunday to start with. Wigan have had so many injuries this year, they'll get stronger quickly IMO now they've got a few back but they've left themselves a bit to do. Wakefield and Salford have a tough job facing these teams back to back, Leeds and Cas are probably too far ahead, Saints, Hull and Wigan arguably fighting for two spots between three but who knows in this competition, you can't be sure on anything.

I'm just not sure where we'll find the consistency from, we're in a position where two point gain/loss is really significant. If you lose to Cas in 1st or Huddersfield in 8th, it'll have repercussions.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The West Stand paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    We've lost some stinkers this season (should have won at both Widnes & Hull, and buried Wakey at TTWS), but that loss to jammy Leeds a fortnight ago was a killer.
    Cas away when they were 5 yards offside

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    That's the frustrating thing, we put ourselves in a position to win all those games. We were blew away by Cas in the cup, Warrington did a job on us at their place but the others could quite easily have been wins if we were half decent.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Conversely our home record is the best it has been for years
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

On the way to Calais

Our home form has kept us in the conversation, but we'll only have 3 of the last 8 at LP (probably) so we need to win several away games to have a chance of being in the 4 after 30 rounds, and they'll all be tough of course.

But, Wakefield is just huge for us and could be the catalyst for us to go on a run away from home. I overestimated the amount of games the teams in 3rd and 4th would likely win over 30 rounds and effectively wrote us off.

But looking at the table tonight we could sneak 4th with 35 points. That still means 6 wins from 8 minimum, but that's merely difficult, not impossible.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Our home form has kept us in the conversation, but we'll only have 3 of the last 8 at LP (probably) so we need to win several away games to have a chance of being in the 4 after 30 rounds, and they'll all be tough of course.

But, Wakefield is just huge for us and could be the catalyst for us to go on a run away from home. I overestimated the amount of games the teams in 3rd and 4th would likely win over 30 rounds and effectively wrote us off.

But looking at the table tonight we could sneak 4th with 35 points. That still means 6 wins from 8 minimum, but that's merely difficult, not impossible.

Wakefield is now the most significant game so far in our season. We've not always done well at their place. If we can win it - and even more, do it in style, with meaning and a sense of confidence - we can go into the remainder with a lot of hope and something to play for. Either way - i think we should just go for it and see what we come up with. Even if we don't make it - some attitude, entertainment and commitment will see us good for the off season and in readiness for the next. We have to go into it with passion - certainly not like the first half today. We need much more than that. Then, who knows? COYS!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Cas away when they were 5 yards offside
    And Hudds away when the ball was clearly never grounded (and the Amor send off that never was at Wigan) it really hasn't been our year away from home!

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    Wakefield is now the most significant game so far in our season. We've not always done well at their place. If we can win it - and even more, do it in style, with meaning and a sense of confidence - we can go into the remainder with a lot of hope and something to play for. Either way - i think we should just go for it and see what we come up with. Even if we don't make it - some attitude, entertainment and commitment will see us good for the off season and in readiness for the next. We have to go into it with passion - certainly not like the first half today. We need much more than that. Then, who knows? COYS!
    Agreed. I think the reaction after the Hull game showed that the players still think 4th is do-able. That was a real 4 pointer. But in true Saints style we seemingly took Catalans to be a home banker and nearly paid the price.

Next week at Wakefield should have them back to being focused. A win and the gap to 4th is very much surmountable. A loss and I think it becomes almost insurmountable.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Well, why not? We can do it, just don't let me go through another one, like that first half! I know we are regarded as a 'no chance' in some circles, but we can do it!

COYS
    There once was a time when the club seemingly escaped early/mid season crisis - e.g sackings of Hughes, McRae, Hanley etc - and still won silverware.

The difference is those Saints teams had far more quality through the squad but then again SuperLeague is not as strong as it was.

Where there's life there is hope!

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    There once was a time when the club seemingly escaped early/mid season crisis - e.g sackings of Hughes, McRae, Hanley etc - and still won silverware.

The difference is those Saints teams had far more quality through the squad but then again SuperLeague is not as strong as it was.

Where there's life there is hope!
    There are still some glaring weaknesses in the squad which are there for all to see. Peyroux and Tommy Lee should be nowhere near our 17 and our back row in general is not great at all. Our props are also hit and miss and are often dragged out of the crap by Walmsley.

But I think Holbrook has brought back that never say die attitude and spirit amongst the player and you can definitely see an uplift in our performance levels. The structure of the team also looks much improved to me with a willingness to go wider quicker and mix up the play a bit which we didn't see under KC. Still early days but so far I'm quite content with what he's done and with an off season and some better recruitment I think next year we will be much stronger.

As for this year, given we've won 6 from 9 under him we're in with a big shot of the 4 now but Sunday's game at Wakefield is a must win, not just because of who we're playing but because we have to turn our dismal away form round now.

Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs Ralph Fridge's Avatar

It will be really tough at Wakefield. They're decent.

We will have to play a hell of a lot better than we did yesterday that's for sure. Thought we switched off on numerous occasions
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

Got A Season Ticket

I said after the Leeds game:-

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    HOWEVER.......

If we'd played as well as we did last night against a couple of other teams away earlier this season (e.g. Leigh, widnes and Salford, all close games) and the home draw against hudd's we could potentially be 1, 2,3,4,5,6,7 points better off than we are now.

I reckon that if we'd not lost Fages in the Salford game we'd have won it, and there was only 2 points in it against widnes

I agree about new captain, and I'd like us to have more of a"plan b" cos let's be honest, injuries to our halves has been a constant thorn this season!
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post

COYS
    a different story than a couple of months ago when people were writing us off, talking about ripping up season tickets etc. Even if we don't do it, this coach and team have got us excited again and a lot more optimistic. The team seem far more up for a fight now, so why not?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    It will be really tough at Wakefield. They're decent.

We will have to play a hell of a lot better than we did yesterday that's for sure. Thought we switched off on numerous occasions

Each game as it comes .... but RF sums it up

Got A Season Ticket

Playing some entertaining rugby which is what nearly everyone was crying out for for the best part of 2 years. That was the first part of the repair job and Holbrook is doing pretty well with it. I guess some fans will always find fault and scapegoat certain players. Onwards and upwards.