Hattons Solicitors Banner
RedVee Merchandise At CraftyTees.co.uk

Thread: Predict the rest of the season....

Noooobie

Default Predict the rest of the season....

Talking to a few mates about our remaining games and the possibility of the middle 8s etc.

Just thought it'd be interesting to see what the majority think.

To get Super 8s last year you needed 20 points, we're currently on 11.

So we need 5 wins from 10 to be sure you'd think.

So with the games: Hull FC (N) Wigan (H) Hudds (A) Cas (A) Widnes (H) Salford (H) Leeds (A) Hull FC (H) Catalan (H) Wakefield (A).

What are our predictions and final points total?

I'll go with....

Hull FC - L
    Wigan - W
    Hudds - W
    Cas - L
    Widnes - W
    Salford - W
    Leeds - L
    Hull FC - L
    Catalan - W
    Wakefield - W

Which would give us 23 and the Super 8s.

Thoughts?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    Talking to a few mates about our remaining games and the possibility of the middle 8s etc.

So with the games: Hull FC (N) Wigan (H) Hudds (A) Cas (A) Widnes (H) Salford (H) Leeds (A) Hull FC (H) Catalan (H) Wakefield (A).

I'll go with....

Hull FC - L
    Wigan - W
    Hudds - W
    Cas - L
    Widnes - W
    Salford - W
    Leeds - L
    Hull FC - L
    Catalan - W
    Wakefield - W

Thoughts?
    Optimistic. We have won 5 of our first 13 so I don't see us winning six of the next 10 as you predict. There isn't a single fixture on that list that I could tell you with any degree of confidence that we will win. We will win when we are not expected to at times, but overall we don't have the consistency. We might scrape the 20 points that was the mark last season. It really is going to be that close for me.

Got A Season Ticket
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Holbrook will tell Smith what he's doing wrong.

Johnny Lomax will recover from injury and perform like the World ClaSs attacking full back he can be.

We win all our remaining games and are Super League Champions !!!! ;-)

Starting A Programme Collection Oldham_Saint's Avatar

Don't see those happening tbh, and it interests me why you think we'd lose to Hull but beat Salford? Also think Hudders and Wakey are potentially probable losses, barring any miracle working from Justin when he comes in.
    ST HELENS RFC - The Arsenal of Super League (Flat track and proud of it)

ST HELENS RLFC - where players good reputations go to die.

"I turn the TV volume down because these comedians on SKY are speaking a load of rubbish. They're making a simple game complicated with their long-winded, pointless jargon". Kevin Ashcroft

...I think it's a fair slogan for the World Cup. If you come to England and you don't like the weather, TOUGH TITTIES!!! Andrew Voss, PNG vs Samoa, 4:Nov:13

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post

I'll go with....

Hull FC - L
    Wigan - W
    Hudds - W
    Cas - L
    Widnes - W
    Salford - W
    Leeds - L
    Hull FC - L
    Catalan - W
    Wakefield - W

Thoughts?
    Sadly, I think your being extremely optimistic given the results so far this season and I think the Middle Eights is where Saints will now end up. I hope I will be wrong but there are very few easy games, if any, in those remaining fixtures.

Interesting thread this, still giving it some thought but I think we'll do it. Cats could lose every game between now and the split because they are awful.

Luke Walsh has hardly been immense for them, a shame we managed to get shut only to replace him with Matty Smith! DOH!!!

My wins would be

Hudds
    Widnes
    Cats
    Wakey
    A.N.other

We should get a fifth win. The issue may be the maths. Will 20 be enough this season?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

In The West Stand paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulx2 View Post
    Interesting thread this, still giving it some thought but I think we'll do it. Cats could lose every game between now and the split because they are awful.

Luke Walsh has hardly been immense for them, a shame we managed to get shut only to replace him with Matty Smith! DOH!!!

My wins would be

Hudds
    Widnes
    Cats
    Wakey
    A.N.other

We should get a fifth win. The issue may be the maths. Will 20 be enough this season?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    I suppose like you say, the flip side of it is will both Catalans and Wire win five games too. Probably not

Starting A Programme Collection STIDDY's Avatar

I think it's a race between us and Catalan for that 8th spot and I would think Catalan are better equipped to get that spot and it might decide on our home game with them.

Lose tomorrow and we are asking the team to double there points total in 9 games what they have struggled to do in 14 games so far. I can only see 2 more wins on current form, but I should imagine we will pick up via Holbrook and perhaps get 4 wins.

We are going to struggle to get to 20 points which could be 8 th spot, for me the up and down mental state of our players are indicating to me that we will be in 9th spot and a blight on our Superleague standings.

Unless performances lift dramatically I see us in middle 8's and probably top finish in that.

Think we have only been to Hull East of the pennines so lots of tough away days to come.

Learning All The Songs

I think we'll finish the regular rounds 7th or 8th, possibly even 6th if other results go our way.

This squad is much better than the position suggests. Having got rid of Cunningham (right decision for the long term), it's now apparent that the club's decision to bring in a new coach early is spot on, as the initial performance bounce under the caretakers has rapidly dissolved into a confidence crisis.

Following that, if Holbrook has hit on the right formula, our players play to their full potential, and we get lucky with injuries, we could go on a streak. Apart from Cas, no team has impressed me. Salford punching well above their weight and good luck to them, but can they sustain that? Hull can be good, but also poor. Leeds aren't the team they were and grinding results. The scum are still getting results through their structured approach, but that squad has a lot of filler. I reckon Wakey will fall away (but still make the top 8). Wire seem to be getting their act together and will probably get to 5th or 6th. Cats must surely get rid of Frayssinous because they're having their slump much earlier this year.
    #baainthatnumber

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I think we'll finish the regular rounds 7th or 8th, possibly even 6th if other results go our way.

This squad is much better than the position suggests. Having got rid of Cunningham (right decision for the long term), it's now apparent that the club's decision to bring in a new coach early is spot on, as the initial performance bounce under the caretakers has rapidly dissolved into a confidence crisis.

Following that, if Holbrook has hit on the right formula, our players play to their full potential, and we get lucky with injuries, we could go on a streak. Apart from Cas, no team has impressed me. Salford punching well above their weight and good luck to them, but can they sustain that? Hull can be good, but also poor. Leeds aren't the team they were and grinding results. The scum are still getting results through their structured approach, but that squad has a lot of filler. I reckon Wakey will fall away (but still make the top 8). Wire seem to be getting their act together and will probably get to 5th or 6th. Cats must surely get rid of Frayssinous because they're having their slump much earlier this year.
    If other sides haven't impressed you what have you made of Saints? There's no way we put a streak together for me. We're incapable, physically and psychologically. Like I said earlier we might win one or two that we expect to lose on the days when we raise our game, but at the same time we will almost certainly lose one or two that people are looking at and thinking we'll win comfortably.

Noooobie

I may have been a tad optimistic....

I suppose I'm putting that on us, surely, having a slight upturn in form.

Coaches first game normally gives you a good performance hence the win v Wigan.

Salford is probably another one I've been generous on but I'm hoping they'll have a wobble at some point.

We can't get any worse, can we? So I'm hoping Holbrook can get us into a 6/10 team to finish the year which is still probably only about 5th on average over a season.

Lose all but one remaining game. Play and lose the million pound game. End of season loads of high wage players leave. Fans stay away, we struggle in the Champoinship finishing mid table with crowds of 4,000. EM leaves club as do most of the board. After three seasons of mediocrity and falling crowds the board decide to sell the ground to a property developer we move to Thatto and end up like Bradford.
    Or am I being to optomistic
    In my head you're still alive. I know it's a lie, but it's one I like.
    I can still feel you pull on my arm when I was afraid to go.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    If other sides haven't impressed you what have you made of Saints?
    We've been awful at times, obviously.

It's difficult to compare games in the Cunningham era because our tactics & playing style was so different. It'll all depend on how quickly Holbrook can get the players playing to something near their potential, in a style that is effective.

I think this team overall is better than last season's, and I think the general quality of SL is no better.
    #baainthatnumber

Starting A Programme Collection Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

I think this team overall is better than last season's, and I think the general quality of SL is no better.
    I'm not so sure this is true, because has Matty Smith proved to be a better '7' for St Helens than Luke Walsh? No. And has the halves options improved from last year in general? Certainly Not. Is Ryan Morgan given Saints more at centre than Jordan Turner did? No he's not. Even letting Shannon McDonnell leave, has meant that Saints have less options at full back. The changes to the pack haven't made a noticeable difference either.

And with regards to the general quality of SL, what is clear is that there are more sides than ever, that have better side/players than St Helens. And that is why, the club finds itself where it is. This said, the team is capable of more than what it is currently showing and a new coach may be able to draw this out. But if I was Holbrook, I would be looking at trying to get one or two new faces in if the salary cap allows. The team needs more creativity and strike.

Regards,

STEVO

Got A Season Ticket
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Holbrook will tell Smith what he's doing wrong.

Johnny Lomax will recover from injury and perform like the World ClaSs attacking full back he can be.

We win all our remaining games and are Super League Champions !!!! ;-)
    The Season starts now!!! ;-) ;-)

In The West Stand paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Well, I don't think anyone saw that coming

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Well, I don't think anyone saw that coming
    No its like most other magic weekends in reverse

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk