Hattons Solicitors Banner
RedVee Merchandise At CraftyTees.co.uk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Talking Points - Catalans Dragons

In The South Stand

Default 5 Talking Points - Catalans Dragons

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    Brilliant Stephen, your final paragraph captures in words how good Fages' pass to Owens was!

Dare I say it, we will lose some games if we continue to play like we did yesterday. However, I suspect that we'll win more and if I see more like that at Langtree Park, I'll begin to think my season ticket was worth it after all. It's an odd thing to say but I'd sooner see us lose the odd game playing like that than see us win the odd game grinding up the middle and putting 90% of our effort into defence.

I hope that yesterday signals a new approach but we've had green shoots/false dawns before. What yesterday did prove to me is that we do have some good players who will play for each other, the coach and the club. That being said it's over to KC to prove, on a more consistent basis, that he can coach something other than what we've largely seen over the past two years. I just hope that nothing panics him into reverting to the grind. I also hope that he'll have the courage to start dropping underperforming players who he has brought in. A big man learns from his mistakes and faces up to them.

Good read once again, and a fair summary of the events. I remain concerned about a return to the grind, however given KC's response following the victory against Leeds last year- when he was widely quoted saying 'I Want My Structure Back!'
    The majority of posters on here thought he was joking or being ironic. The grindathon that followed showed he really meant it- and I can see us going that way again- unless he really has started to learn and take notice of others. His continued selections seem to indicate otherwise, but I will remain optimistic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Brilliant Stephen, your final paragraph captures in words how good Fages' pass to Owens was!

Dare I say it, we will lose some games if we continue to play like we did yesterday. However, I suspect that we'll win more and if I see more like that at Langtree Park, I'll begin to think my season ticket was worth it after all. It's an odd thing to say but I'd sooner see us lose the odd game playing like that than see us win the odd game grinding up the middle and putting 90% of our effort into defence.

I hope that yesterday signals a new approach but we've had green shoots/false dawns before. What yesterday did prove to me is that we do have some good players who will play for each other, the coach and the club. That being said it's over to KC to prove, on a more consistent basis, that he can coach something other than what we've largely seen over the past two years. I just hope that nothing panics him into reverting to the grind. I also hope that he'll have the courage to start dropping underperforming players who he has brought in. A big man learns from his mistakes and faces up to them.
    Thanks very much. I agree with every word you've said there. Personally I don't think he'll drop those players you mention but he'll live or die by that. If the likes of Owens, Peyroux, LMS and Wilkin can be part of performances like that regularly then it's not so bad having them around. The question is can they?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    Thanks very much. I agree with every word you've said there. Personally I don't think he'll drop those players you mention but he'll live or die by that. If the likes of Owens, Peyroux, LMS and Wilkin can be part of performances like that regularly then it's not so bad having them around. The question is can they?
    To be fair on Owens, he is only an emergency, stop gap player who wouldn't be on the field but for Lomax's injury. In addition he took his try well. Fages' pass was really off the cuff stuff and even though it was well directed and weighted, anyone could have fumbled it. Playing Wilkin at scrum half and persistently picking Peyroux worries me more than playing Owens.

If Matty Smith does play against Warrington, I just hope that Wilkin does not try to be a third halfback, as he has in the past.

Banned

The one thing Smith will have is the confidence to put Jon in his box on the field! Richardson especially perhaps did not have that in his locker.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by scrogger View Post
    Good read once again, and a fair summary of the events. I remain concerned about a return to the grind, however given KC's response following the victory against Leeds last year- when he was widely quoted saying 'I Want My Structure Back!'
    The majority of posters on here thought he was joking or being ironic. The grindathon that followed showed he really meant it- and I can see us going that way again- unless he really has started to learn and take notice of others. His continued selections seem to indicate otherwise, but I will remain optimistic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for reading and your comments. I did throw a reference to Keiron's structure in there as I too have the same fears.

In The West Stand paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Good read particularly like your comments about people seemingly disappointed we won - bizarre..

Another quick point, and had this discussion over the weekend, i don't think Fages has had anything to do with Catalans

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Good read particularly like your comments about people seemingly disappointed we won - bizarre..

Another quick point, and had this discussion over the weekend, i don't think Fages has had anything to do with Catalans
    He was a junior with them,played at u18 level for them

In The West Stand paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Every day's a school day..

Never knew that

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post

Thanks very much. I have seen a lot of comments about wanting us to lose but they often die down after a good performance and win. However after this one I saw a lot of stuff on social media from people who seemed genuinely angry about the game and who were refusing to give Keiron any credit. Their theory is that when we play badly it's Keiron's fault but when we play well it must be that the players have taken over and are ignoring him. I just can't get my head around that idea. It's got to the stage now where some people just don't want him around even if his teams start providing the kind of rugby they want to see.

I just wonder if the approach we saw last night will last but for now let's just go with it.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Furlongs View Post
    The one thing Smith will have is the confidence to put Jon in his box on the field! Richardson especially perhaps did not have that in his locker.
    Wilkin shouldn't be on the pitch

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

The Noel Coward of Rugby League.Great Stuff.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    The Noel Coward of Rugby League.Great Stuff.
    Thanks Don. I think. Before my time........

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    He was born in Perpignan. That pass to Owens for the try was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    Wilkin shouldn't be on the pitch
    I Couldn't disagree more, Wilkin plays his heart out no matter what position he play and OK he's not the fastest or has true guile of an out n out half back but get off his back, its not his position and imho does the best he can.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BigKevIro View Post
    I Couldn't disagree more, Wilkin plays his heart out no matter what position he play and OK he's not the fastest or has true guile of an out n out half back but get off his back, its not his position and imho does the best he can.
    Oh well that's OK then, maybe I can get a game if I do my best. Idiot.

Got A Season Ticket
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Unfortunately Wilkinson is the only leader that we have on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I hate predictive text.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tallahassee View Post
    I hate predictive text.
    Agreed it is annoying

Starting A Programme Collection

He's useless in the forwards as well

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    But hes not a particularly good leader. Wellens has started doing the talking behind the sticks again I notice. I would give the armband to Percival at this point

Learning All The Songs

Lots of positives to take from the game. Our forwards looked good and were not out muscled by theirs. We looked good in attack and moved the ball about well at times. Still lots to be worked on in defence and we still have other problems to sort out ( well covered in other threads )

Noooobie

Sorry but I can't agree with you on this. If he or the team makes a mistake he goes into full on sulk mode. He's the club captain ffs. If I were on the pitch and looked at my leader, my general with a face on him like that, I'd have my head down as far as him.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

It will be interesting to see what happens re Wilkins when Smith is fit and upto speed. I assume Smith will be the field kicker and playmaker so Wilkins will have to be judged on his former role as a 2nd rower and he may not merit selection on that basis
    Last edited by Infamous Grouse; 20th March 2017 at 17:36.