Hattons Solicitors Banner
RedVee Merchandise At CraftyTees.co.uk
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tommy Makinson

Default Tommy Makinson

I thought i'd start a thread for Tommy, given his start to the season.

He may not be a superstar, he may never play for England given the talented wingers in this country but I love watching him in a Saints shirt. His commitment and reliability reminds me so much of Paul Wellens, definitely a player who gets everything he can out of his ability. He very rarely seems to make mistakes.

He made two more tackles tonight that were massive, one in the 1st hald when he held a Catalans player up over the line and that huge hit in the 2nd half which won us a drop out. Sure neither play were tries but without them we wouldn't have won that game tonight, same with his try saving tackle against Leeds. Well played Tommy!

Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Fully agree. He's a very likeable player because of the things you mentioned. He always gives everything and has a fantastic knack of coming up with huge moments in a game. Good to see him create a couple of tries tonight as his handling ability was the thing that most people questioned in relation his full back play.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I thought i'd start a thread for Tommy, given his start to the season.

He may not be a superstar, he may never play for England given the talented wingers in this country but I love watching him in a Saints shirt. His commitment and reliability reminds me so much of Paul Wellens, definitely a player who gets everything he can out of his ability. He very rarely seems to make mistakes.

He made two more tackles tonight that were massive, one in the 1st hald when he held a Catalans player up over the line and that huge hit in the 2nd half which won us a drop out. Sure neither play were tries but without them we wouldn't have won that game tonight, same with his try saving tackle against Leeds. Well played Tommy!
    Really interesting comparison with Wellens. Like Wellens, Tommy has developed his game, has a Wellens-like ability to be in the right place at the right time, and looks to me to be one of those players (Sinfield, Wellens), whose intelligence and willingness to learn elevates them above the ordinary. He might not have the physical gifts of some of his competitors for an England wing slot, but as time goes on we might see him in the team nevertheless.

I agree with you blobbynator. He reminds me of Wello when he's playing full back. Great reads defensively

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

I always thought he had potential; always liked him as a player. Glad to see he has his own thread now. I definitely agree with the sentiments expressed in the OP.

Agreed. What you get with Makinson is a sense of a bloke who gives zero consideration to self-preservation when it comes to playing for his club. You can't ask for more than that.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

I think he does a brilliant job at fullback and given our recent style of play I am glad to see him there so he actually gets to use his rugby brain rather than waiting for the very occasional ball out wide. If we keep tonight's style and tighten up the defence a bit we will all be happy.

Learning All The Songs

Is there a case for keeping him at fullback when Lomax is back? I think Tommy is twice the player at fullback as he is on the wing. For me, he's a very average winger but seems to impose himself so much more on the game from fullback. He was superb there in the Grand Final a couple of years ago and was again tonight.

As much talent as Lomax has, I'm not convinced he's ever going to truly establish himself as our fullback. Could he go back to 6?

Banned
    KC. Be so kind and take Owens with you when you leave. That's a good chap.

Didn't read much of the posts on this.

I rate makinson a better full back than lomax
    Is definitely a better defensive full back.

Plus we have the mighty Owens on the wing now who must be favourite for man of steel.

In The South Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Works every now and then but Makinson's hands are shocking as a pivot and it will cost us when it counts.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Works every now and then but Makinson's hands are shocking as a pivot and it will cost us when it counts.
    Depends how you set up the team. Full backs don't have to be pivots. For our entertainer years we had 6,7 & 13.

Starting A Programme Collection saint mac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Is there a case for keeping him at fullback when Lomax is back? I think Tommy is twice the player at fullback as he is on the wing. For me, he's a very average winger but seems to impose himself so much more on the game from fullback. He was superb there in the Grand Final a couple of years ago and was again tonight.

As much talent as Lomax has, I'm not convinced he's ever going to truly establish himself as our fullback. Could he go back to 6?
    Why put him at 6 we have potentially the best 6 in SL playing there now.I can't wait to see how he dose when Smith is at 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I always thought that Lomax may one day get international honours, injuries permitting. Clearly that will never happen if he can't truly establish himself as even Saints' fullback.

Got A Season Ticket The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I always thought that Lomax may one day get international honours, injuries permitting. Clearly that will never happen if he can't truly establish himself as even Saints' fullback.
    International honours like playing in the 4 nations? Because clearly that's already happened

Learning All The Songs

Doing really well but it's a no brainer to get Lomax at 1 and Tommy back on the wing IMO.

He had a great game yesterday, well done Tommy.

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    International honours like playing in the 4 nations? Because clearly that's already happened
    So glad you didn't trip over the irony in my comment.

Learning All The Songs

Doing really well but it's a no brainer to get Lomax at 1 and Tommy back on the wing IMO.

He had a great game yesterday, well done Tommy.

If we keep up that approach, with a desire to chance our arm, we'll be ok this year with Lomax and Smith in the side.

Another win against wire (with a similar approach to Catalans which was far more in keeping with tradition and fan expectation) and the world starts to look like a better place

Got A Season Ticket The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    So glad you didn't trip over the irony in my comment.
    Apologies for that, it's still early. I read it as both of you agreeing with each other. I thought to myself, what have these 2 been smoking???

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

"Shocking" is harsh. He played his part in two tries yesterday with good hands. He's no natural ball player but I wouldn't describe his handling ability as shocking.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned
    KC. Be so kind and take Owens with you when you leave. That's a good chap.

His hands are shocking? That's news to me

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Depends how you set up the team. Full backs don't have to be pivots. For our entertainer years we had 6,7 & 13.
    Yep and that could work again with the right personnel. I've never been a fan of playing an extra prop at 13

If / when Lomax is back I am happy to see Tommy back on the wing If we continue to get the ball out on the flanks as we have done somewhat against Hull and certainly against Catalans. If we revert to using our wingers as mini props then in truth I would have Tommy as FB over Jonny.
    You have found true love when that person still holds your hand when your life is falling apart.

Learning All The Songs theres only one stan wall's Avatar

Played his part in a couple of tries last night injecting himself into the line. The major plus for me though is how he reads the game. You could pick out a multitude of examples where he gets across and covers the wing/centre and swept up well again last night.
    Lomax offers us real guile behind the halves and exceptional passing ability. Tommy's pace will get us out of trouble more often than not and this season his kick retums are far more aggressive. Good problem to have that we have some depth and cover.

10/12/1989 12-12 v Dewsbury (H) Regal Trophy.
    Att:5,847 (Loyal supporter ever since).

Got A Season Ticket

Had a good game with his hands last night but based on the past few years when he's had to fill in, we know his passing game is fairly limited.

Most SL sides attack the same now, halfback to halfback to full back. We play that way and bagged a few last night from it. If teams number up well you usually end up with a 3 on 3 with the fullback having the ball with the centre & winger outside of him. Lomax is for me the best FB in SL in those situations. While Makinson might be able to create a try given an overlap, Lomax can create something out of nothing and our attack almost always misses him when he doesn't play. Makinson is a similar style to Wellens at FB, and as this way of attacking became popular in SL, wellens at FB became a problem as he had no real passing game or pace to do anything in a 3 on 3 or even 3 on 2.

If we can get the back 3 of Lomax, Makinson and Swift on the pitch more often than not, we'll always look threatening.

Partly because he is a winger with no pivotal requirements in that position, before he came into the first team he was quite a decent centre with good passing skills. Lomax is very much a problem for us with the amount of injuries he picks up in his career which has slowed him down and he's way down the order for the clubs best defensive full backs.

On the other side of the coin, Makinson is currently not a great attacking full back either who can break a tackle on a kick return but he had a short spell at the back end of the 2015 season were he joined the attacking line and made a significant impact on the game. It might be worthwhile to give him an extended period at full back to develop into that position and look at a new winger replacement. Defensively he's fairly sound, not quite as good as Wellens but who was for the best part of Wello's career.

For Lomax if fit he should replace Lee as a back up in the halves or the hooking role, currently its just too much of a disruption when he gets injured, which unfortunately is on a regular basis.