Hattons Gold Registration
RedVee Merchandise At CraftyTees.co.uk
Ultimate Party People

Thread: NRL Auckland 9s

Learning All The Songs warringtonsaint's Avatar

Default NRL Auckland 9s

I am lead to believe that this is free to view on Premier Sports - weekend of 15th / 16th Feb.

http://www.nrl.com/auckland-nines-dr...7/default.aspx

Looks a good comp and format - I personally would prefer something like this to the by now tedious (in my opinion) Magic Weekend.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    I am lead to believe that this is free to view on Premier Sports - weekend of 15th / 16th Feb.

Looks a good comp and format - I personally would prefer something like this to the by now tedious (in my opinion) Magic Weekend.
    Agreed if the money involved was something similar, but it would just be a warm up tournament before the season over here and nothing else.

Magic Weekend is here to stay, whether we like it or not. I personally think it's pointless and would much rather go to the HJ or Langtree to play Warrington this year than the Ethiad. The only good thing is that SKY show all the games that weekend which is somthing they don't do with any other sport except in the Champions League

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post

Fancy NZ Warriors to win it. Tomkins and Johnson are perfectly suited to this type of rugby. I am looking foward to it

Warriors are favourites with the bookies, how seriously are the teams taking it? and how long are the matches?

Some big names are backing it in Aus - read the article in the link for details.

As for participation, quote from the article "The NRL’s 16 clubs have all guaranteed at least one top five player from each of the club’s salary cap. They will play in Auckland alongside at least 12 of each club’s top 25 salary capped players."

Matches are 9 minute halves.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Warriors are favourites with the bookies, how seriously are the teams taking it? and how long are the matches?
    NZ have named a more or less full strength squad, the likes of Johnson, Hurrell, Tomkins etc are all named. Brad Fittler is turning out for the Roosters haha

no one cares about the nines

Blog Entries

You reckon? I'll be watching.

So, 80% care and 20% don't.

Pretty convincing for me, people care about the nines.

Spends Too Much Time On The Internet

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post

I think it will be an excellent event, I too will be watching.

Spends Too Much Time On The Internet Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post

I think the percentages caring will be much more than that!

Really looking forward to it myself!

In The New Stadium The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I'm looking forward to it also. I'm planning on watching Hull v Catalans on Friday 14th and then staying up late to watch the 9's kick off. The missus is delighted with my Valentines Day plans!
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Spends Too Much Time On The Internet

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I'm looking forward to it also. I'm planning on watching Hull v Catalans on Friday 14th and then staying up late to watch the 9's kick off. The missus is delighted with my Valentines Day plans!
    All 44,000 tickets sold, with extra seating being added.

In The New Stadium The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    All 44,000 tickets sold, with extra seating being added.
    Sounds good. I've not had a proper look at the format,etc but I'm looking forward to watching it now.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The New Stadium The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Shaping up to be a cracking event. Some very strong squads being named and a full house both days.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

These Aussies are miles behind the times

Unless my memory is completely failing me there used to be a pre season Wigan 9's at Central Park which was played for a good few years

Dont think we ever won it but it was definately on

Saying that I dont think Central Park ever sold out

Hate to say anything ositive about them on here but also recall Wigan winning the Middlesex 7s at Union one year

Buying A Season Ticket Wizards Sleeve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post
    These Aussies are miles behind the times

Unless my memory is completely failing me there used to be a pre season Wigan 9's at Central Park which was played for a good few years

Dont think we ever won it but it was definately on

Saying that I dont think Central Park ever sold out

Hate to say anything ositive about them on here but also recall Wigan winning the Middlesex 7s at Union one year
    Used to go to both the Wigan 7's and Leeds 7's as a kid. Always a great day out. The weather played a big part though. It was pre-season in the 70's IIRC and it was always a gorgeous day at the end of August. Sat on my dad's shoulders with pop and crisps. I was only about 17. lol.
    Born in St.Helens (Lancashire). Live in Hull. Probably die in Hull if I keep wearing this Red Vee.

Wasn't there also a British Coal 9s a good few years back? I'm sure it was televised too?