Hattons Gold Registration
RedVee Merchandise At CraftyTees.co.uk
Ultimate Party People
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salary cap pros and cons?

Buying A Season Ticket

Default Salary cap pros and cons?

Been reading up on the salary cap tonight. Wondered what peoples views have been on the pros and cons of it. Me being a newbie my first impressions are it seems to of made the league a bit more equal in terms of competitiveness but at the same time costing the league its best players to nrl. Would love to hear what all you more experienced fans think of it as my initial opinions are prob way off the mark and wrong :-)

Buying A Replica Shirt

I'm a fan of the concept. I think it encourages stability and growth while also encourages clubs not to spend beyond their limits. I truly just believe the sport has not been managed very well from the top.

NRL will always be able to poach players its just the nature of our sport on the world stage and even if the salary cap was lifted this would not prevent this... it may even encourage clubs to spend beyond their means and endanger their existence (as we have seen this is totally do-able even under spending restrictions).

Starting A Programme Collection

It definitely made the competition more even for the biggers clubs, but the gap in quality between a top SL club and a bottom SL club is way too big, IMO the equivalant of a Premier League side playing a League One side.

I think if the pound was as strong as it used to be against the Aussie dollar then I doubt we would see as many SL players going over as we do now. We need to increase the Salary Cap to about 2.5 mill but we also need all the clubs to be able to spend the cap without going bankrupt for SL to improve (I bet only 4 or 5 clubs in the comp could spend that each year), aswell as improving our academy systems etc. As it's been said many a time on this forum, the game is run by idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Travelsicksaint View Post
    I'm a fan of the concept. I think it encourages stability and growth while also encourages clubs not to spend beyond their limits. I truly just believe the sport has not been managed very well from the top.

NRL will always be able to poach players its just the nature of our sport on the world stage and even if the salary cap was lifted this would not prevent this... it may even encourage clubs to spend beyond their means and endanger their existence (as we have seen this is totally do-able even under spending restrictions).

It's encouraged but hasn't been successful

i like it. it stops clubs going bust and evens out the comp to a degree. i think it just needs tinkering to stop the nrl poaching players.
    im not too clued up on how the cap works at present, but maybe each club could be allowed 2 players completely free of any cap restrictions.
    its hard too imagine that the nrl would want more than 1-2 players from one super league club at any one time.
    its still not great but its a step in the right direction
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The New Stadium

How has it evened up the competition?
    There have only been two Grand Final winners since it was an even cap.

If you want to see how a salary cap can work well, look at American sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    because those teams have done other things to give themselves the edge. the cap isnt the be all and end all. a salary doesn't automatically mean a team from the bottom of the league can become grand final winners overnight. an even wage system wont win any team the league. other factors matter like having a good setup, winning culture and academy system.
    but i think it has balanced the league to a degree. 10 years back the top four teams battered all the other teams in the league week in week out. that is no longer the case imo.
    with the exception of leeds (who seem to of made OT home) i think if any combination of the top 6 sides could meet at OT and it would be a close fought contest. except for us of course, even widnes would beat us at old trafford

In The New Stadium

Just to add, I'm not anti salary cap, but I'm not sure the way it is at present is working. In some ways I agree with fishy that more money needs to be spent on infrastructure, but the game as a whole is struggling to attract investors. Does the salary cap deter more of the likes of Koukash putting their money into clubs?

If a multi millionaire wants to bring the best players to his club, should we (as a game) be discouraging them?

Just to add, I'm not anti salary cap, but I'm not sure the way it is at present is working. In some ways I agree with fishy that more money needs to be spent on infrastructure, but the game as a whole is struggling to attract investors. Does the salary cap deter more of the likes of Koukash putting their money into clubs?

If a multi millionaire wants to bring the best players to his club, should we (as a game) be discouraging them?
    as i said before. im thinking a 2 player per club "let off" would go some way towards fixing it.
    we could retain 2 of the likes of roby, lomax, soliola, walmsley,
    and you could retain your good players. like tomkins and erm erm erm

For me an idea would be, if a player, say robes for instance is formally offered a contract by an NRL club, saints should be afforded the benefit of being able to counter the offer. So we get capped at his current contract, but anything above that to compete with NRL club to keep him in super league should be omitted from our salary

Eg...

Robes salary as it stands 100,000 per year
    Aussies offer: 175,000 per year
    Saints counter that with 180,000 but that extra 80,000 we offer won't count on our overall salary, just his original 100,000

So we keep our player, his new/extra wages don't affect our cap and we go forward being capped on his current salary, everyone's a winner surely?

Also I reckon a marquee exception could be an idea to allow us to poach from union or the NRL if its affordable... I know it recreates the gulf between top and bottom, but it's not our fault London are skint is it? So why should be not be allowed to splash out on someone we could potentially afford to increase the profile and quality of the game?
    Last edited by Lygase; 14th August 2013 at 11:10. Reason: Forgot to mention the marquee exception

Quote Originally Posted by Lygase View Post
    For me an idea would be, if a player, say robes for instance is formally offered a contract by an NRL club, saints should be afforded the benefit of being able to counter the offer. So we get capped at his current contract, but anything above that to compete with NRL club to keep him in super league should be omitted from our salary

Eg...

Robes salary as it stands 100,000 per year
    Aussies offer: 175,000 per year
    Saints counter that with 180,000 but that extra 80,000 we offer won't count on our overall salary, just his original 100,00

So we keep our player, his new/extra wages don't affect our cap and we go forward being capped on his current salary, everyone's a winner surely?
    but then agents would orchestrate fake offers from ozz in order to jack up their clients wages. every players agent in the super league would twig on to it

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    but then agents would orchestrate fake offers from ozz in order to jack up their clients wages. every players agent in the super league would twig on to it
    Obviously the would be rules and regulations around it to stop things like that...

Obviously the would be rules and regulations around it to stop things like that...
    im not going out my way to disagree with you mate. im just not sure the rfl would have the resources to police it

im not going out my way to disagree with you mate. im just not sure the rfl would have the resources to police it
    your probably right there pal... Thing is summat needs doing before we end up losing all the talent out of SL... And we know how good the rfl are at great ideas

your probably right there pal... Thing is summat needs doing before we end up losing all the talent out of SL... And we know how good the rfl are at great ideas
    100% agree. as you say, something needs to be done. the silence from the rfl is deafening

Learning All The Songs

It's not just London who are skint, most clubs are.

All the salary cap is doing is allowing bigger clubs to employ more and better quality backroom staff and facilities, such as bespoke training grounds, gyms etc.. That's why the same clubs are still dominating (Huddersfield the unsustainable exception).

Buying A Season Ticket

Personally I wouldn't like league to got the way football has with all these rich use the club as a play thing owners. That is one of the main reasons I have switched from football to coming to watch Saints. Once the owners do that, they buy the best players, only a couple of teams can win things and ticket prices rocket. The one thing i noticed on Friday was how the fans were normal down to earth fans, not what i call plastic. Tickets are more affordable, fans more genuine hence I've gone and got me season ticket for next year.

Like the idea of being able to break the rules for maybe 2 marquee signings though that someone else mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Like the idea of being able to break the rules for maybe 2 marquee signings though that someone else mentioned.
    i agree with that previous poster as well!! he knows his s*** that mon

Buying A Season Ticket

i agree with that previous poster as well!! he knows his s*** that mon

Feck it lets got bought out by a rich Russian billionaire and win the bloody lot lol

Spends Too Much Time On The Internet

[QUOTE=Vaughany;504171]Personally I wouldn't like league to got the way football has with all these rich use the club as a play thing owners. That is one of the main reasons I have switched from football to coming to watch Saints. Once the owners do that, they buy the best players, only a couple of teams can win things and ticket prices rocket. The one thing i noticed on Friday was how the fans were normal down to earth fans, not what i call plastic. Tickets are more affordable, fans more genuine hence I've gone and got me season ticket for next year.

Thats happening now. The skill level is so bad at the moment we will see season ticket sales fall again across the board next year, coupled with a farcical top 8 playoff system.

I will go to Wembley and the playoff games, if we play in 3 I will have been 8 times this season and that is with the option of a free ticket each home game. I just cant bring myself to get excited about games against the likes of London/Wakefield/Widnes/Bradford/Cas etc as I know if we have anything like a full squad we will win easily. (I know Cas beat us, but they are a very rare exception)

Buying A Season Ticket

[QUOTE=bazdev;504187]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Personally I wouldn't like league to got the way football has with all these rich use the club as a play thing owners. That is one of the main reasons I have switched from football to coming to watch Saints. Once the owners do that, they buy the best players, only a couple of teams can win things and ticket prices rocket. The one thing i noticed on Friday was how the fans were normal down to earth fans, not what i call plastic. Tickets are more affordable, fans more genuine hence I've gone and got me season ticket for next year.

Thats happening now. The skill level is so bad at the moment we will see season ticket sales fall again across the board next year, coupled with a farcical top 8 playoff system.

I will go to Wembley and the playoff games, if we play in 3 I will have been 8 times this season and that is with the option of a free ticket each home game. I just cant bring myself to get excited about games against the likes of London/Wakefield/Widnes/Bradford/Cas etc as I know if we have anything like a full squad we will win easily. (I know Cas beat us, but they are a very rare exception)
    How will playoffs work when sl is down to 12 teams?

hopefully top 5. assuming it is a top 5 system it goes as follows. assuming each game is won by the highest rank team it should go:

week 1
    minor premiers get week off
    2-3
    4-5 (5 bow out)

week 2
    1-2 (winner through to grand final)
    3-4 (4 bows out)

week 3
    2-3 (winner through to grand final)

week 4
    grand final 1-2

ive not explained it very well but i think thats how it went. top 3 teams can lose one play off game and get a second bite at the cherry.

one thing that did bug me about this system was that the top team got a week off. if they won in week two they jumped into the final. they went into the final having played only 80 mins of rugby in about a month!! i see this as a bit of a disadvantage.
    its still a lot better than the current system however

Salary cap is in theory a good idea. Superleague has evened up a bit ie Huddersfield top and more unpredictability but at the cost of quality ??

Cons - am sure anyone creative can get round it. If a rich owner uses one of his other companies to make payments to a wife or girlfriend or significant other how do you pick up on that. Am sure there are plenty of fringe benefits and payments that could be made and never spotted ie holidays, cash etc etc. The Doc has already publicly hinted at this

Also hasnt stopped clubs going bust or made things any more financially stable

NRL cap differential is a major issue. Only way round that could see would be for some form of central contract system like they have in cricket ie top internationals contracted to England and lent back to clubs. Cant see that going down well or ever happening in rugby league but has undeniably worked well in cricket where players play a lot fewer games.

Learning All The Songs The Great Tom Vol's Avatar

Hi
    Please explain to me the above posting. I thought the salary cap came in when super league started 1996.